To ServiceNet Managers and Staff:
In response to rising gas prices, we are pleased to announce two changes to our mileage reimbursement policy. These changes apply to all managers and staff in the agency who receive mileage reimbursement. If you are a manager, please distribute this information to all staff you supervise.
1. Effective immediately, ServiceNet’s mileage rate is increased from 37¢ per mile to 40¢ per mile. This increase is being implemented for all travel reimbursement submitted during the current pay period, regardless of date of travel. We are pleased that our new mileage rate of 40¢ per mile is among the highest rates for human services agencies in western Massachusetts.
2. We recognize that some employees utilize their personal vehicles an extraordinary amount on behalf of the agency and that such usage adds to the wear and tear on their vehicles. Accordingly, we are also implementing an additional mileage reimbursement benefit of 3¢ per mile for any employee who, over the course of a fiscal quarter, averages at least 50 miles of travel per week. This brings the mileage rate for those individuals to 43¢ per mile.
If you who qualify for this additional reimbursement, you do not need to submit any additional forms to receive it. It will be handled automatically by the payroll department at the end of each quarter.
Here’s how it will work. Everyone will receive the new 40¢ per mile rate on an ongoing basis. At the end of each quarter, the payroll department will automatically determine which employees submitted mileage reimbursement requests that averaged at least 50 miles per week. Those employees will receive the additional reimbursement within approximately one month after the end of the quarter.
The beginning and end of each quarter will coincide with pay periods. Since pay periods are each two-weeks long, two “quarters” will each be 12-weeks long and two will each be 14-weeks long. The dates of the four quarters this year are:
· June 28 through October 3 (14 weeks)
· October 4 through December 26 (12 weeks)
· December 27 through April 3 (14 weeks)
· April 4 through June 26 (12 weeks)
For example, a staff member who submits reimbursement requests for at least 700 miles (14 weeks times an average of 50 miles/week = 700 miles) between June 28 and October 3 would receive an additional 3¢ per mile for that travel. This will normally be paid no later than one month after the end of the quarter.
Please note that this benefit is not pro rated: it will only be paid to staff who travel either 600 miles or 700 miles in a quarter (depending upon the length of the quarter).
We recognize the impact rising gas prices have on many of our dedicated managers and staff who use their own vehicles on agency business. We hope that these two changes help to lessen that impact. Our goal is that all of our policies and practices continue to place us in the forefront of human services agencies.
If you have any questions or comments about this, please feel free to contact me.
Bruce J. Barshefsky, M.B.A., M.S.W.
Vice President for Administration and Finance
129 King Street
Northampton, MA 01060